Coming to the stage, Broadway shows, Playbill update
2018 promises to be a strong year on the Great White Way with dramatic theatre and musicals. Several upcoming offerings include–
• Theatre: Helen Hayes Theatre
• First Preview: March 1, 2018
• Opening: March 26, 2018
• Written by Kenneth Lonergan
• Director: Trip Cullman
• Cast Includes: Michael Cera, Chris Evans, Brian Tyree Henry
• The lobby of a Manhattan apartment building is much more than a
waiting area for four New Yorkers involved in a murder investigation. It’s a testing ground for what happens when personal and professional personas find themselves at odds. A young security guard with big ambitions clashes with his stern boss, an intense rookie cop and her unpredictable partner in a play from the 2017 Oscar-winning writer of Manchester by the Sea.
THREE TALL WOMEN
• Theatre: John Golden Theatre
• First Preview: February 27, 2018
• Opening: March 29, 2018
• Written by Edward Albee
• Director: Joe Mantello
• Cast Includes: Laurie Metcalf, Glenda Jackson, Alison Pill
• Three women of different ages talk about their lives and their relationships with their families. Gradually it emerges that they may all be the same woman.
MY FAIR LADY
• Theatre: Vivian Beaumont
• First Preview: March 15, 2018
• Opening: April 19, 2018
• Music by Frederick Loewe. Book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner.
• Director: Bartlett Sher
• Choreographer: Christopher Gattelli
• Cast: Lauren Ambrose, Harry Hadden-Paton, Norbert Leo Butz, Diana
• Revival of the classic musical adaptation of Shaw’s Pygmalion
CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD
• Theatre: Studio 54
• First Preview: March 22, 2018
• Opening: April 11, 2018
• Written by Mark Medoff
• Director: Kenny Leon
• Cast: Joshua Jackson, Lauren Ridloff
• Revival of the 1980s play. A speech therapist who works at a school for the deaf attempts to teach the school’s deaf cleaning woman to speak and read lips. They fall in love, but she refuses to learn speech, which complicates their relationship.
THE ICEMAN COMETH
• Theatre: Bernard B. Jacobs
• First Preview: March 22, 2018
• Opening: April 26, 2018
• Written by Eugene O’Neill
• Director: George C. Wolfe
• Denzel Washington returns to Broadway in a revival of the classic O’Neill play.
• Theatre: Samuel J. Friedman
• First Preview: April 3, 2018
• Opening: April 25, 2018
• Written by George Bernard Shaw
• Director: Daniel Sullivan
• Cast: Condola Rashad
• Set in 15th-century France, Saint Joan follows a country girl whose mysterious visions propel her into elite circles. When the nation’s rulers become threatened by her popularity and influence, they unite to bring her down and she finds herself on trial for her life.
THE PREACHER’S WIFE
• New musical based on the 1996 film of the same title.
• An industry reading of The Preacher’s Wife was presented in Manhattan September 12, 2016, starring Loretta Devine and Ledisi.
Olivier nominee Stafford Arima directed with musical direction by
James Sampliner. A second reading was presented December 11, 2017, directed by Michael Arden.
Deborah Cox is slated to star in two upcoming musicals: JOSEPHINE, life of legendary dancer Josephine Baker and THE BODYGUARD, based on the Whitney Houston movie.
The post Coming to the stage, Broadway shows, Playbill update appeared first on Talk2SV.com.
More available at Talk2SV. Link to article http://talk2sv.com/uncategorized/coming-to-the-stage-broadway-shows-playbill-update/.