MOTHERING & THE PARENTAL PRESS
From DAY ONE there is an inherently strong bond between mothers & sons — and fathers & daughters. But the bond between mothers & daughters – and fathers & sons is often a work in progress. I believe this is because of the ‘mirror image syndrome’. Mothers know what their daughters will go through in life, just as fathers know what their sons can expect. The mirror image syndrome causes mothers to lean a little harder on daughters, and the same for fathers and sons. That extra press can strain the best parental relationship in adolescent years.
That was the case with my Mom & me. I didn’t fully understand all of the years of her best attempts protect me until – I became a mother. What a revelation! I have since come to the realization that – I AM my mother. Consequently, here are some of Mom’s pre-emptive protective posturings that are on my list of best practices to impart with my child:
- Love the Lord GOD with all of your heart & soul.
- Open your mail – Pay your bills on time.
- Light & darkness cannot exist in the same place. Choose light.
- Buy classic lines; look for sales; why pay more?!!!
- Education takes priority; everything else can wait.
- Don’t waste my money — PRACTICE!
- Save your money – a rainy day is coming.
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
- In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.
Motherhood does not come with an instruction manual. But, thankfully it does come with the wisdom of generations of elders who came before us. If we execute our parental press well, we can rest assured that our pre-emptive protective posturings will pass on for generations to come.
A Virtuous Woman:
“She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise and call her blessed… Proverbs: 31:26-29
In all you do…B. Lifted!